The Indiana Civil Liberties Union (soon to be officially the ACLU of Indiana) has long treated the Libertarian Party of Indiana with respect and dignity. When I became active in the LPIN in 1998, they were one of the few organizations that would take us seriously, treat us respectfully and do so in a dignified manner. When our activists rights were trampled, they reviewed the situation thoroughly and even choose to take action on occasion. This has continued to be the case and is the case today.
I have always believed that they are part of the network of organizations working to preserve Constitutional freedoms.
Thus, I hate libertarian knee-jerk reactions to the ACLU and ICLU denouncing the whole organization when all the dispute is about is one small facet of their work. Let's find our common ground first and work together. If we do so, we'll both achieve 90% of our missions. Only then should we "bicker" over the other 10%.
I participate in the Lawyers Council of the ICLU and do so proudly. I also know that many self-identified libertarians are involved with the ICLU, two of whom are in significant leadership positions with the ICLU. I've known both individuals for years, and they are libertarian, in their beliefs and voting patterns.
Rather than attack, shouldn't Libertarians become more active with the ACLU and ICLU? If more Libertarians did this, maybe some day there wouldn't even be the 10% difference in opinion between both our organizations' beliefs and goals.
If 100% agreement with an organization or individual is a requirement of support, then I'm afraid I'd have to drop out of all organizations to which I am a participant, even the Libertarian Party. I'd have to leave my wife, disown my parents, hide from my nephews and nieces, and eventually live in a cave far, far away from anyone. That's a silly thing for me to do. It would be awfully lonely - and with whom would I engage in debate over a nice single malt scotch? What a wretched existence.