Sunday, August 13, 2006

Gividen Walking His District - Help Him Do This Next Saturday

Here's the latest report from the Gividen, Libertarian for Indiana Senate, campaign:

"While campaigning in Franklin today, a woman took my flier and mused aloud how Perot split Bush's vote and handed Clinton the election. Before I had the chance to explain that Perot's voters anti-NAFTA, pro-choice Democrats who never would have voted for Bush, she looked at me, smiled and said, "You know, I think it's time we start voting for the individual candidate."

I met a retirement age man on his porch; a life-long Republican. His wife nodded when he politely raged against the Republican agenda in Indiana. A younger man, standing on the steps, lamented that his property tax has soared from about $1200 to $2400. "Guess I have to buy a smaller house," he said.

Two good-old boys were enjoying the cooler Summer day, playing poker in the garage. They set aside their beer cans long enough to take my fliers. As I walked away I could hear them voicing their agreement with the bullet point on my hand-out, "Against Property Tax."

In two weekends we've touched the lives of a 1,000 residents in Frankin, Indiana. Only one voiced support for the Republican Party and one for the Democrats.

There is unrest in the forest,
There is trouble with the trees,
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas.

Next Saturday I will meet with Libertarians willing to put their feet to the pavement, their faces to the wind and venture with me into a community suffering from the hardships imposed by government excess.

The time: 9:30 am to ???
The place: Starbucks next to Walmart
2279 North Morton St (US 31)"

No comments: