Sunday, December 16, 2007

Why I Am Cynical About The Current Proposals To Reduce the Number of Indiana Elected Officials and Units

Leo Morris, editorial writer for the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel, sums up my concerns nicely in his blog Opening Arguments:

"Reducing the number of governmental units means fewer government employees and processes but it means bigger units further removed from the people."

So far, none of the proposals I've seen appear to address the essential need to make government closer and more responsive to its citizens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I will agree that larger units of government tend to lead to them being farther removed from the people, I think that these changes will combat some of that. I think the amount of transperancy will increase since there will be less government and you will be able to ascertain who actually controls/has responsibility for government functions.