Monday, April 16, 2007

Big Brother is Watching You!

"Without more audits, I.R.S. executive say, people may behave as if no one is watching."

Here's more from the New York Times article I.R.S. Audits Middle Class More Often, More Quickly: "Chris Edwards, director of tax policy at the Cato Institute, a libertarian research and advocacy group in Washington, said that Congress is driving the need for more audits. Since 1995, he said, “the Republicans greatly complexified the tax code, contributing to tax evasion and making the I.R.S.’s job more difficult.” "

Personally, I think the complex I.R.S. tax code has led to a disrespect for the rule of law. If the law is too confusing, complex and cumbersome, it leads more and more people to justify ignoring it. Once there is a disrespect for the rule of law, chaos can and often does begin.

No comments: